Content is undoubtedly the king in digital marketing. But when publishing your content and building your internet equity to reach more students, you need to make sure you’re doing it the right way. You’re probably familiar with the term SEO, which stands for search engine optimization. If you are trying to promote your online tutoring business to rank high on Google search, it’s important to consider SEO with any digital content you create and publish. While it’s true that SEO can be a complicated and nuanced subject, I believe that you can achieve 80% of the optimization by putting in just 20% of the effort. In this article, I will list three tips for quickly improving your digital marketing strategy. And don’t worry; you do not need to be an SEO for tutors expert to boost your online presence.
Two Areas of Search Engine Optimization (or SEO) for Tutors
Before we start, we should briefly go over two different areas of SEO:
- On-site SEO – This refers to optimizing your website’s content to make it easy for search engines to index it properly.
- Off-site SEO – This refers to getting as many credible sources as possible to provide a link to your website.
So with that in mind, let’s start with tip #1.
3 Best SEO Tips on How to Promote Yourself as a Tutor
Tip #1: Optimize for a target keyword.
Any website serves a specific purpose, and it is important to create a responsive website for potential new students who search the web using their tablets and phones. But to make sure your potential new clients will find your site besides thousands of other websites, you need to find your website’s target keyword. This will help search engines identify that purpose easily. But it’s not always obvious which terms could increase the number of new student enrolments. There are a couple of digital tools by Google that I like to use to help with that:
Google Keywords Planner
This tool is built for online ad campaign management AdWords but can be handy when hunting for the perfect keyword. It’s relatively easy to use:
- Head to https://ads.google.com.
- After signing in, select Tools -> Keyword Planner and click on the “Discover new keywords” button.
- You will need to develop 5 – 10 keywords that describe your business the best: terms like “tutoring services,” “online business,” or “qualified English tutor,” etc. Click search to receive keyword results.
- The two most important columns are “Average monthly searches” and “Competition.” These columns will help you find a keyword with enough monthly traffic to make it worth your time and the ones with lower competition.
Using the keywords planner, you should find 3 – 5 fitting candidates for your target keyword. Now we’re moving on to Google Trends.
Google Trends lets you compare the keywords against one another and see their historical traffic as a graph:
- Head over to https://trends.google.com and enter your first keyword.
- Click on the compare button to enter the rest of your keywords one at a time.
- Use the graph that shows up to decide on the winner. Usually, the keyword with the most traffic on average will win.
Now, with a little research, you have your keyword for website optimization and SEO marketing.
Tip #2: Optimize your on-site SEO as best as you can
Now that you have your keyword, you need to make sure you optimize your website for it. To do that, you will need to deal with a little bit of HTML. HTML is a markup language used to build websites. HTML is not hard to learn, and you don’t need to learn a ton of it to optimize for SEO. You only need to be familiar with the concepts of HTML tags. You can read more about HTML and tags here.
Here’s a quick checklist for optimizing your on-site SEO for tutors:
- Your page’s title tag must have your target keyword in it. Ideally, your title will start with your key term.
- The meta description should be around 150 characters and contain your target keyword.
- Your landing page should have exactly one h1 tag that contains your target keyword.
- The first paragraph on your landing page should contain the keyword in the first sentence.
- All your images must have an alt text that contains the target keyword.
- h2 tags should contain at least parts of the keyword or its synonyms.
This list is not exhaustive, but it’s a great starting point.
Tip #3: Reverse engineer other tutoring websites
While it’s great to be creative with your content and online marketing, it’s also good to learn about what’s worked before for others. If your tutoring business has a competitor, who is much higher in its search engine rankings, you should find out how they got there.
You can analyze your competitor’s domain to see what kind of links they used to build up their rankings. One of the best tools for analyzing domains on the market is Moz. At the time of the writing, their domain analyzer has a free version:
- Head over to https://moz.com/ and click on the “Free SEO Tools” button.
- Enter the domain URL of your competition and click on the “Analyze Domain” button.
- If you look around, you’ll find tons of useful data. But for now, we will focus on “Top linking domains” data.
Top Linking domains is a list of websites with high authority that have links directly pointing to your competitor’s website. By doing so, these domains are helping your competitors rank higher in the search results.
Now, your goal is to go through the list and identify the ones that might be useful for your search rankings. If you can get those domains to post links to your website, that will surely improve your rankings. There are numerous ways to achieve that.
All you need to do is create an account and fill out your profile. Make sure to include a direct link to your website when you do so. For others, like popular blogging publications, you could reach out to the content editors and offer to contribute a post as a guest and, in exchange, promote your business on their platform.
Having an own tutoring business is a dream for many tutors. But running a business comes with a few hurdles that most tutors are not prepared for. Besides the tutoring job itself, tutors will face many administrative tasks and local and digital marketing to grow and improve the tutor business. With a little business skills and the right marketing strategy, you could quickly increase visitors to your website. SEO optimization is somewhat intricate and can seem daunting, but these three SEO tips for tutors should provide you with a good starting point and no cost. Good luck!